Listening to God Together
As followers of Jesus, we live, work, and minister in a complex and rapidly changing culture. The church is reforming and recalibrating to share the gospel and minister more effectively in this context. As we face these challenges we need spiritual renewal and to intentionally seek God’s way forward through our practice of communal discernment.
We want to hear God speak into our challenges and our opportunities. We want to learn more about how to discern well. In this program you will first learn spiritual practices that aid deepening in your relationship with God through prayer. And second, you will learn and have the opportunity to engage a process of communal discernment with your leadership team in which you listen to God together.
Through this program you will be equipped to:
- Engage in time-honored prayer practices that aid you in deepening your relationship with God and listening to God.
- Awaken your soul to discern the presence and work of the Spirit of Christ in daily life.
- Participate with other leaders in your church in a process of Communal Discernment.
- Identify the charism/continuity of the Spirit’s presence and work in your community through appreciative inquiry (undergirding values, gifting, capacities, strengths, and resources).
- Frame your question for discernment – the matter your team is putting before the Lord.
- Listen for the voice of Jesus within yourself (the role of silence in listening).
- Listen for the voice of Jesus while listening to others (double listening/holy indifference).
- Plan “action steps” in response to God’s leading in discernment.
A Three Phase Approach
Phase I - Teach and Equip (a joint session for two churches)
Learn the Spiritual Practices of Prayer, Covenant, and Spiritual Communal Discernment
Phase II - Group Engagement: Preparation for Discernment (one church)
Appreciative Inquiry (assess undergirding values, gifting, capacities, strengths, and resources) Frame the Question for Discernment
Phase III - Guided Communal Discernment
Listening Together for WHAT and HOW (one church)
Engage in Communal Spiritual Discernment - “Listening to Jesus Together” about WHAT God is saying in response to the question that is before us. Followed by listening for HOW. Develop a Plan of Action
Each church may choose where they would like to meet, whether at their own facility or at a local retreat center (the church would assume the cost for the retreat center). The joint session will be negotiated by the two participating churches.
Cost Per Church
Total cost for the program for one church - $4,000 (payable to Renewal Ministries)
Churches may apply for a grant from COM to cover half the cost - $2000
How to Register
Churches may pre-register at Renewal Ministries Northwest by sending a pre-registration form. Your pre-registration will secure the dates that you choose. Dates are provided on a first-come-first served basis. A contract for service will be sent to you, at which time your date is permanently secured with a deposit.
Pre-registration can be sent in at any time.