An equipping program for church leaders to learn and engage in the practice of communal spiritual discernment. In partnership with Renewal Ministries Northwest and Seattle Presbytery.
As followers of Jesus, we live, work, and minister in a complex and rapidly changing culture. The church is reforming and recalibrating to share the gospel and minister more effectively in this context. As we face these challenges we need spiritual renewal and to intentionally seek God’s way forward through our practice of communal discernment.
We want to hear God speak into our challenges and our opportunities. We want to learn more about how to discern well. In this program you will first learn spiritual practices that aid deepening in your relationship with God through prayer. And second, you will learn and have the opportunity to engage a process of communal discernment with your leadership team in which you listen to God together.
THROUGH THIS PROGRAM YOU WILL BE EQUIPPED TO:
- Engage in time-honored prayer practices that aid you in deepening your relationship with God and listening to God.
- Awaken your soul to discern the presence and work of the Spirit of Christ in daily life.
- Participate with other leaders in your church in a process of Communal Discernment.
- Identify the charism/continuity of the Spirit’s presence and work in your community through appreciative inquiry (undergirding values, gifting, capacities, strengths, and resources).
- Frame your question for discernment – the matter your team is putting before the Lord.
- Listen for the voice of Jesus within yourself (the role of silence in listening).
- Listen for the voice of Jesus while listening to others (double listening/holy indifference).
- Plan “action steps” in response to God’s leading in discernment.